Sausage Casserole Recipe – A Delicious Winter Warmer
Our sausage casserole recipe is a fantastic winter meal. Wiltshire Bacon’s Cumberland Sausages & Smoked Streaky Bacon together deliver a truly unique flavour. This warming & filling dish is delicious with some warm crusty bread. Perfect for freezing.
Preparation time: Around 45mins
Cooking time: Around 45 – 60mins
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 kilo Wiltshire Bacon Cumberland Sausages
- 6 rashers of Wiltshire Bacon smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 onions
- 100g sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 325ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- brown sugar – 1tbspn
- pinch of dried mixed herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 100ml red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and brown the sausages for around 10 mins, turning frequently and ensuring a nice colour all over. Then transfer to a large ovenproof dish and set aside for later.
- Cut your Bacon rashers into small 1 inch strips and fry in the pan until golden and crisp then add to the sausages.
- Slice 2 onions and add to the pan with the sliced mushrooms. Saute until softened, or until the onion has turned slightly translucent, then add 2 crushed garlic cloves and fry for a further 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are a golden brown.
- Add the smoked paprika and stir, ensuring an even coating on everything.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato purée, brown sugar, thyme, mixed herbs and the bay leaves.
- Pour in the red wine and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the dish that we set aside earlier.
- Place in the centre of the preheated oven and cover with a lid or foil and bake for 30min.
Serve in a bowl with a warm crusty bread baguette.